Monday, July 12, 2010

revelation.

I love reading old posts (and new) by Stephanie Neilson. Call me a blog stalker, who cares, because I don't. This woman is a ah-maz-ing. Little insight if you don't know about her. She and her husband, live in Provo, Utah and were almost killed in a plane accident over a year ago. She was badly burnt and has had a roller coaster of recovery. They have 4 young children, and come from huge families, both are devout LDS. I have to give them some street credit, or eh blog credit? They have the family thing down pat, even after all of this tragedy in their lives, the things she writes about her children I love, and I am absorbing it like no other. I am uplifted by her devotion to God, and her family and church. I am going to copy and paste part of one of her posts that really hit home for me.

Nur.ture
1.take care of young things
2.encourage somebody or something to flourish
"Mothers Who Know Are Nurturers To nurture means to cultivate, care for, and make grow. Another word for nurturing is homemaking. Homemaking includes cooking, washing clothes and dishes, and keeping an orderly home. Home is where women have the most power and influence; therefore Nurturing mothers are knowledgeable, but all the education women attain will avail them nothing if they do not have the skill to make a home that creates a climate for spiritual growth. Growth happens best in a "house of order," Nurturing requires organization, patience, love, and work. Helping growth occur through nurturing is truly a powerful and influential role bestowed on women".

in·flu·ence n 1. the effect of something on a person, thing, or event 4. somebody or something able to affect the course of events or somebody’s thinking or action
"Mothers Who Know Are Leaders Mothers who know are leaders in equal partnership with their husbands. They plan for missions, temple marriages, and education. They plan for prayer, scripture study, and family home evening. Mothers who know build children into future leaders and are the primary examples of what leaders look like. They do not abandon their plan by succumbing to social pressure and worldly models of parenting. These wise mothers who know are selective about their own activities and involvement to conserve their limited strength in order to maximize their influence where it matters most."

pre·pare v 1. vti to make something ready for use or action, or for a particular event or purpose 2. vti to get ready or make somebody ready for something
4. vt to plan something in advance
"Mothers Who Know Do Less They allow less media in their homes, less distraction, less activity that draws their children away from their home. Mothers who know are willing to live on less and consume less of the world's goods in order to spend more time with their children—more time eating together, more time working together, more time reading together, more time talking, laughing, singing, and exemplifying. These mothers choose carefully and do not try to choose it all. Their goal is to prepare a rising generation of children who will take the gospel of Jesus Christ into the entire world. Their goal is to prepare future fathers and mothers who will be builders of the Lord's kingdom for the next 50 years. That is influence; that is power. Mother’s Who Know Do Less."

that was taken from this posting


As a mom, it is so easy to get caught up with how stressful kids are, how they drive you crazy, how badly you need a glass of wine, or the whole bottle. or how you can't get your housework done, or how you cant deal with all of the fighting or bickering or can't get any alone time. The list can go on and on about the hardships of being a mom, but what about the list of great things?

Do you ever stop to think of exactly what you did with you kids all day?

I have 3 little ones. I am guilty of putting up the kiddy gate and the disney channel on the tv and then getting my housework done, facebooking it up, reading, whatever it is, then comes lunch time, put together a easy meal, clean them up, put them down for a nap, then repeat of what i was doing while they were being babysat by the tv, then they wake up, put the tv back on, get dinner ready, joey comes home (this is a massive run on sentence, i dont care) we eat dinner, the kids play a little more while I clean up, take baths, go to bed. Wow. I have tears just typing that out. I have to admit, I have been doing much better. The tv has been mostly off during the day, and my house has been a mess because of it, haha oh well. My kids and I are loving it.
Going forward, I can honestly say I am trying my hardest to nurture my children, and be a more relaxed mom.
I am going to start dedicating the mornings to my children, playing, reading, conversating. The housework can get done while they are napping, or at the table doing a craft or coloring. Maybe I can even try getting the kids to help me with some of it, and make a game out of it, who knows. Another new decision, Joe and I have made the decision to homeschool London Rose for preschool, I am ordering the class material from Sonlight and we are really stoked on it. I am hoping this will not only enrich London, but also help me with my perspective on time management with my children. I think this 3 week camping "adventure" we have been on has really helped me have a blast with my kids. I am the type of mom who wants their kids to be quiet in the grocery store, at restaurants, display perfect manners and so on. I don't know why or how I became so uptight, I mean yes children should have manners, but I am 24....why have I been acting like a miserable old lady? I am really trying to ease up. Today, Rowan climbed up on the table and ate his snack up there, I went to tell him to sit back down in his seat, but he was so happy up there I just let him stay. And then came bedtime, they kids were all tucked in but I could hear them giggling. So instead of yelling go to sleep or be quiet or else, I grabbed the flashlight and we ran around in the dark "being shpooky" as London was saying, screaming and laughing so hard. I even let them jump on the bed without freaking out that someone was going to fall off and break an arm. And you know what? I can't think of anything stressful about today or anything to complain about.......at all, and you want to know why? because I had fun.

I am excited for the new me, and I think my kids are too.
P.S. sorry for the longest. post. ever.

No comments: