Tuesday, July 20, 2010

school time.


I am so going to do Red Velvet Art's online Home-Ec class.

Rachel makes the cutest things. She has a great vintage retro style that I love. I can't wait to take this beginners sewing class to learn how to properly make things so that way I can make things for my kids, and clothes for myself!

My great grandma June passed away June of 2007. She was an avid seamstress as is my grandma Sharon, who bought me a sewing machine 2 years ago for mothers day. Back to the point with June, she used to make quilts. And when we were going through her things when she passed, I found an unfinished one. At the time I was pregnant with my daughter, London Rose, and I thought that this quilt could be something that I could finish for her to have for her room. Well, I didn't get around to it, and now London has a stupid matchy matchy room from target and I really want to get this quilt done so I can decorate her room the way it should be. I'm sure once I finish her quilt, I will have a total emotional breakdown.....I really do miss her.
Here is the unfinished quilt:

I took the photo with my iphone, so you really can't see the detail, but it's an abstract pattern with fabric of tiny red flowers.

A few months ago I found this cute vintage fabric at an antique store and bought it. I am going to make her a pillowcase from it:

I think I am going to paint her room a light teal/robins egg blue walls, similar to this room:

(click on photo for source)
And then I am going to do some embroidery to match this:

(click on photo for source)

and she has wainscoating and chair railing on the bottom half of the walls in her room that will remain antique white. She has antique white furniture too. So cover up her current pink walls with tealish blue paint, accent with red and white bedding with lots of cute vintage wood toys, and nesting dolls with be my "theme" for London. I have nesting doll sets I played with as a child that I am going to put up on shelves in her room. I love that I can incorporate things from my childhood into my daughters. I have all of my books from then too that are now resting on her bookcase, and she loves to look through them.
And then one day, I'll be able to teach my daughter how to sew.

No comments: